Support, advice and queries

Local Offer

The Council for Disabled Children (CDC) have produced a video which provides information about what a Local Offer is.

The Local Offer is part of the Sheffield Directory, which also contains information for children, young people and families, and for adults. It brings together helpful and useful information located in one easily searchable website which is accessible through smart phones and tablets.

The Local Offer contains a wide range of information and services to support children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities. These include services provided by the Local Authority and the health service, as well as services provided by the voluntary and private sectors (e.g. charities and disability groups, nurseries, youth clubs, leisure activities etc.).

Information is available for young adults, to help you make informed choices about things that are important to you such as where to live; transport; social activities, work and training; and becoming an adult.


Complaints about an EHCP assessment, content of plans or the provision and support can be made through the local authority; this includes the health element. This is because a complaint may cover issues that include education, health and care, and we must centralise the response. The Designated Clinical Officer will support the Local Authority with issues relating to health in EHCPs.


Sheffield SENDIAS (SEND Information, Advice and Support) service supports children and young people (0-25) with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their parents/ carers on education and related health and social care matters:

  • Explaining legal and statutory processes 
  • National and Local SEN Policies
  • Your rights and options
  • SEN Support and The Graduated Response
  • Education Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment 
  • Exclusion advice Complaints procedures
  • Mediation and Appeal
  • Communication between you and other services 
  • Advocacy for children, young people and families

Disagreement Resolution

Mott MacDonald have produced national guidance for Disagreement Resolution. Routes+for+Disagreement+Resolution.pdf (

Complain about a Sheffield City Council service 

To make a complaint about your local authority service Make a complaint to the council ( or Complain about your council – GOV.UK (

Complain about a school, college or other education provider

To make a complaint about your education provider go to Make an education complaint (

Clinical Commissioning Group complaint

There may be other circumstances where you wish to provide feedback about the service you have received from Sheffield Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). These could include:

  • Continuing Healthcare (CHC)
  • Sheffield CCG Individual Funding Requests (IFR)
  • Feedback about the conduct of Sheffield CCG staff
  • Regarding commissioning decisions and policies made by Sheffield CCG

For these matters Please contact us on the details below:

Phone: 0114 305 1555


Post: Complaints Team, NHS Sheffield CCG, 722 Prince of Wales Road, Sheffield S9 4EU

If you have any communication needs please let us know. For example, if you need information in braille, large print or easy read, or if you need an interpreter. If you need us to communicate with you by phone or face to face please tell us using the channels above.

Complain about a healthcare service (e.g. GP or hospital)

If you have any concerns about the service that you have received from a healthcare provider (such as at a GP practice or hospital) you can raise your concerns directly with the provider. Please refer to our CCG Feedback and Complaint page for a list of contact details. 

Right to complain to the commissioner

You have the right to make a complaint directly to the organisation that provided your care, or to the commissioner that holds the contract with that organisation. Healthcare services are commissioned by NHS England and Sheffield place NHS commissioners who are part of the South Yorkshire Integrated Care System (ICS). If you want to make a complaint to Sheffield commissioners about a healthcare provider please let us know and we will discuss the options with you. 

Phone: 0114 305 1555


Sheffield commissioners do not deal with complaints about primary care services – these are dealt with by NHS England. Please add this link NHS England » Complaining to NHS England


Useful resources for parents and young people


SEND Legal advice and templates

(IPSEA) Independent Provider of Special Education Advice provides advice for families on education law, a helpline, guidance for tribunal processes and letter templates for families requesting assessment, review, making a complaint, etc. Parent led information and resources on SEND

Sheffield Advocacy Hub ( for advocacy services for 16+

Sheffield SENDIAS (Information, Advice and Support) Service for children and young people (0-25) with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and their parents/ carers on education and related health and social care matters

Early Years

Ambitious About Autism have created the Right from the Start toolkit. – US website and App with lots of tips and activities for brain building with your child. 

Finances advice for families with disabled children. Covers support for benefits, money and debt provide advice on filling in Disability Living Allowance forms and claiming 

Personal Independence Payments (PIP) (for those aged 16+) 

Disability Law Service has guides for claiming Personal Independence Payments (PIP)and preparing for a PIP assessment.

Family Fund financial advice and support for families with disabled children.

Independent living


Sheffield Children’s NHS Foundation Trust Making Sense webpage

Autism Resources

Ambitious About Autism

Sheffield Education Autism Team  the council’s autism education team have an open access contact number and email for parents and professionals. 

Sheffield Parent Carer Forum have developed a local resource pack.

Mental Health Matters

Local support for when you're feeling low | Sheffield Mental Health Guide

Kooth provides an online mental health community for 11-18 year olds

Mental health and capacity: Mencap have a resource pack for family carers - see here.

National Resources for Children’s Disability

Council for Disabled Children

Parent carer groups

Sheffield Parent Carer Forum provide advice, resources and groups for parent/carers of children’s and young people with SEND

Sheffield Carers Centre

Supporting parents with difficult and dangerous behaviour 

Reducing difficult and dangerous behaviour | Newbold Hope

Home | National Association of Therapeutic Parents (

Home - Centre of Excellence in Child Trauma (

Transitions to Adulthood / Preparation for Adulthood

Sheffield Transitions Guide

Preparing for Adulthood 

Time to Talk Next Steps is a free programme for 16-25 year olds who are experiencing anxiety, isolation and who have limited or no plans for the future