School Nursing - Sheffield
School Nursing is part of the Sheffield Children’s 0-19 Service through which we support children and their families at home and at school from birth to 19 years old.
The school nurses offer advice and support to children and young people aged 4-19 and their families regarding health needs and public health issues.
They take over the care of children from the Health Visiting Team when they reach school age and continue with the Healthy Child Program which begins at birth.
They see children in school to offer routine health screening and assessment.
They give information about:
- managing additional health needs in schools and educational settings
- developmental concerns
- growth, hearing and vision screening
- the childhood immunisation programme
- behaviour, social and emotional wellbeing, including safeguarding
- common infectious diseases